The Sunshine Coast, BC has become a region of Canada offering a one-of-a-kind lifestyle filled with fun and adventures.
Our hidden gem attracts first-time home buyers and retirees due to its unreal natural beauty, affordability, and relaxed lifestyle. With its proximity to Vancouver and its beautiful beaches, mountains, forests, and lakes, the Sunshine Coast offers endless opportunities for exploration. Whether you’re seeking an active family community or a peaceful haven away from city life, this coastal paradise is filled with opportunity. So, if you dream of owning your own piece of paradise without breaking the bank, the Sunshine Coast is the perfect place.
Are you considering a move to the Sunshine Coast, BC? Here are several reasons why this coastal region could be your ideal home.
1. Natural Beauty: Beaches and Trails
The Sunshine Coast, Canada is known for its stunning natural landscapes, clean beaches, and scenic trails that lead to waterfalls and panoramic ocean views. Residents enjoy easy access to expansive beaches and trails within a 5-10 minute drive from their doorstep.
Enjoy waterfalls, ocean views from mountain tops, lush green forests, trickling creeks, flowing rivers. It’s the perfect location for outdoor enthusiasts or a leisurely walk with your dog.
Here are the top beaches per area that are worth checking out.
Known for its tranquil seaside ambiance and adventurous outdoor offerings, Gibsons effortlessly weaves together the best aspects of coastal living. Here are some highlights you won't want to miss:
• Lower Gibsons Seawall: Kickstart your day by taking a stroll down the seawall. Don't forget to stop by Mike's Place for a delectable gelato while soaking up the views of the North Shore mountains.
• Soames Beach: This beach is renowned for its pristine white sand and serene cove that provides calmer waters, making it an ideal swimming spot. As it faces south, you can enjoy the extended summer sunshine.
• Bonniebrook Beach: Wrap up your day with a tranquil walk along this magnificent coastline. Alternatively, immerse yourself in nature's beauty by going for a refreshing dip or launching off on a kayak or paddleboard adventure to appreciate breathtaking sunsets all year.
Nestled along the Sunshine Coast, this charming hamlet is a treasure trove of natural beauty and vibrant local culture. Here's what awaits you:
• A treat at the Roberts Creek General Store: Before you head to the beach, stop by this historic store to pick up a delightful ice cream cone. The store was the 1940s and is an famous amongst the local community. Wonder down to the pier and check out the painted mandala and see if you can tell what the shape is.
• Visit Roberts Creek Beach Provincial Park: The park is filled with picnic tables and greenspace that’s ideal for an outdoor gathering. Or, grab some delicious Fish n’ Chips from Sharkey’s up the road and have an easy lunch or dinner at the beach!
This vibrant town is known for its oceanside beauty and delightful dining scene. It offers a harmonious blend of outdoor adventures and beachfront dining, embodying the spirit of Sunshine Coast living. Here are some highlights of this charming town.
• Take a Hike on Chapman Creek Trails: The trails here offer diverse and stunning landscapes. Follow the well-maintained paths to explore waterfalls or find hidden swimming holes - ideal for cooling off on hot summer days.
• Dine at Davis Bay: Enjoy a delicious dinner at local favorites like Joe's on the Beach or Wobbly Canoe. Sip on a drink while watching the sunset descend over the pier.
• Dessert at Pier 17: Don't forget to grab an ice cream from Gourmet Girl for dessert. Complete your day by enjoying this sweet treat during a leisurely walk along the beach.
2. Affordability, Investment Opportunities, and Relaxed Lifestyle
The Sunshine Coast BC is an affordable gem amidst the surrounding cities and towns. You can have easy access to everything you need while living a relaxed and stress-free lifestyle with just a 40-minute BC ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay, Vancouver.
The real estate market on the Sunshine Coast provides excellent investment opportunities, with many homes from the housing boom of the 80s and 90s now reaching an age of 30–40 years. These properties hold immense potential for renovation to create your dream home or to capitalize on rising demand by selling updated properties to those seeking their own slice of paradise.
3. Activities for the Whole Family
Looking for a place teeming with family-friendly activities? A place to create memories with your loved ones? The Sunshine Coast is the answer. Whether it's camping, hiking, biking, water sports, baseball, hockey, entrepreneurship, or the arts, there's something for everyone.
Homesite Creek in Halfmoon Bay
Homesite Creek is a top pick for camping because of its spacious, quiet campsites coupled with super clean outhouses. It makes camping comfortable. The peaceful sound of a beautiful creek running nearby sets a serene atmosphere. For some daytime fun, drive a side-by-side or quad up the mountain along the power lines, explore a waterfall just across the highway, or take a quick drive towards Sechelt to the enjoy warm waters at Trout Lake.
This privately-owned property offers cabins and campsites right on the lakeside and has been a local favorite for years. Paddle out to a little island housing beavers and turtles, or check out the adventurous rope swing.
Klein Lake in Egmont
For those who prefer less crowded spots, Klein Lake in Egmont is another excellent pick. Situated up a Forest Service Road, this large lake is surrounded by spacious campsites and quaint handmade docks, perfect for kids to jump and play.
The Sunshine Coast is not just about scenic landscapes and outdoor adventures; it's also a blooming culinary scene that’s become haven for food enthusiasts. The dining scene on the Sunshine Coast is vibrant and diverse, thanks to its support for entrepreneurship and local businesses. From food trucks to fine dining establishments to breweries, distilleries, and cideries, there's something for every taste bud.
When it comes to fine dining in Gibsons, Brassica and Buono are both stand outs. Fun Fact: Buono restaurant is owned by Mike Buono, the son of Wally Buono, a CFL coach for the BC Lions!
But it's not just about the food here; there's also a vibrant drinks scene if you're thirsty for some local brews or spirits. Head to Tapworks in Lower Gibsons to enjoy a fun rooftop deck that offers ocean views of Howe Sound.
In Gibsons, you'll find 101 Brewhouse and Distillery, housed in a renovated old auto body shop right on the highway.
Persephone Brewery is situated conveniently off the BC Ferries terminal amidst a beautiful farm where you can engage in yard games, check out animals, bring your pets along, and enjoy daily food truck offerings at picnic tables
In Sechelt, visit Taphouse Twenty-Two for an upscale dining experience to remember. For drinks, check out The Bricker Cider Company, sitting on a family apple orchard sprawling over 5 acres, perfect for exploration.
Alternatively, visit Batch 44 Brewery, which tempts visitors with its pub-style decor and delectable cuisine.
5. Schools & Community
Sunshine Coast, BC, is a place where community ties are strong, and the educational system is top-notch.
It's a heartwarming sight to see how quickly the community comes together in times of need. Whether it's finding a missing pet or supporting a neighbor through financial hardships due to health issues, you'll find an outpouring of support here.
When it comes to nurturing local businesses, the community steps up as well. Whether it's through word-of-mouth referrals or patronizing your shop, small gestures from neighbors can indeed make big waves for your venture.
Education-wise, the Sunshine Coast offers options tailored to diverse learning needs, such as French immersion schools and alternative schools that specialize in personalized learning programs, as well as traditional elementary and secondary schools staffed with caring teachers. Furthermore, many of these schools feature sports programs that have produced professional athletes such as Ryan Dempster of Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs baseball fame and Kyla Richey, a five-time national volleyball champion for Team Canada!
So why not be part of this supportive community that champions education and looks out for one another?
6. Delightful Weather with Less Snow and More Sunshine
Yes, we're giving you a bonus reason to consider the Sunshine Coast, Canada, because we can’t forget to mention our weather! The Sunshine Coast isn't named whimsically; it generally enjoys more sunshine and less rain than the Lower Mainland.
What about winter? Thanks to our close proximity to sea level, we experience minimal snowfall, usually just one or two separate weeks in a year. During these times, we embrace the change of pace, don our warmest clothes, and cherish those snow-lit days with family.
The Sunshine Coast Regional District area offers an unparalleled lifestyle filled with natural beauty, affordability, outdoor activities, excellent dining options, a strong community spirit, and favorable weather conditions. Whether you are looking for a change of pace or a place to settle down, the Sunshine Coast has something for everyone seeking a unique coastal living experience outside of Vancouver.